After you mix up the batter, drop it by spoonfuls on a parchment covered baking sheet.
After whoopies are baked, wait 5 mins to cool and carefully remove them from the parchment paper.Place them flat side up on a cookie rack.
Then you can spoon the filling or pipe it. I piped to keep it clean!
Sandwich the filling between two of the cakes and press gently together!
Classic Chocolate Whoopie
By Whoopie Pies
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening (I didn't have any shortening so I just used more butter)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together, flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat butter, shortening and sugar with a mixer on low until just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for about 3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat for two more minutes.
- Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk and beat on low until incorporated. Repeat with remaining flour and milk and beat until combined.
- Using a tablespoon, drop batter on baking sheet two inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes each or until pies spring back when pressed gently.
- Remove from oven and cool for about five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
1 Tbsp of batter should make about 48 two-inch cakes or 24 pies.
2 Tbsp of batter should make about 30 four-inch cakes or 15 pies.
Peanut Butter Filling
from Whoopie Pies
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (or crunchy)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- Beat peanut butter and butter on low until creamy using a mixer.
- Add sugar and salt and beat on low to incorporate. Increase speed to medium and beat for about four minutes until the filling is light and fluffy.
- Spread filling on flat side on one cooled cake. Top it with a second cake and press gently.