Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blank Slate

I took this picture over the weekend to help me plan for my new garden this spring. I’m pretty excited because I’ve always wanted my own garden but know nothing about gardening. I know I have a long way before my garden is the way I want it, but you have to start somewhere right?


I don’t know which flowers would work best in the shade because of the big tree, but at least I have an idea of where I want them to go.

Here is a list of the best 10 shade plants I found on the internet:

1. Ferns - A wide variety of ferns grow easily in different climates. The cinnamon fern is an especially attractive plant. Its new fronds have a unique cinnamon-like color. A fern can add a nice touch to a corner of a room or a front porch.

2. Bleeding Heart - Known for its delicate shape and rich color, this lovely flower needs very little sunlight. Its official name is the Dicentra, but it is better known as the bleeding heart because of its heart-like shape. This flower creates a soft touch in any shady spot in the garden or flowerbed.

3. Astilbe - Astilbe is similar to a fern in appearance. This plant produces beautiful foliage, and is perfect for adding to a space that is normally in the shade. There are several varieties of Astilbe to choose from, in colors such as red, pink and salmon. The flowers sprout up above the rich green blanket of foliage.

4. Day lily - Technically known as Hemerocallis, the day lily does well in light shade. It grows in both dry and damp areas, and needs little care or attention. The flowers, which resemble lilies, are usually shades of yellow and orange. The slender, long leaves are pretty to look at, and because they grow closely together they tend to block out the weeds.

5. Monarch - Also known as the North American bee balm, this plant has a very pleasant aroma to it. It belongs to the mint family and produces red flowers. Its stalks tend to be around 24 inches tall. It looks especially striking when placed against a dark background.

6. Dogwood - The Corpus florido, or flowering dogwood, is a small tree that does well in shady areas. When it flowers, expect an abundant show of white or pink flowers. A similar tree, the Cornehan Cherry, lights up with yellow flowers in early spring. It grows best in semi-shady areas.

7. Rhododendrons - Rhododendrons are some of the most popular type of flowering shrubs. They bloom early in spring, welcoming the season and adding color to your desired area.

8. Juneberry - Also called the Amelanchier, these hardy shrubs do well in shaded areas. They produce clusters of small white flowers, which are followed by small berries. If conditions are right, the Juneberry will grow to be the size of a small tree.

9. Hydrangeas - These shrubs have very colorful and attractive flowers. They are one of the most popular plants to grow in the shade. (This one is my fave)

10. Holly - If you want a pretty green look, holly is a good choice. It will create a nice spread of foliage for your garden or lawn, and the bright red berries add a splash of intense color.

I would LOVE peonies but they prefer full to part sun, a minimum of 6 hours per day. I will have to see if I can find a spot for them. I know for sure I will be adding Lavender, Thanks to my friend Shantelle for her wisdom on the lovely plant.

Guess I will be needing to spend some good quality time at the local nursery.

*no polaroid pictures were needed for this posting ;D

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment